Visit the Official KCSA Web Site

Visit the Official KCSA Web Site
Click to Visit the Official KCSA Web Site. Unity Through Diversity...Knights Nation!

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Clogging or Morris Dancing?


Morris dancing in the grounds of Wells Cathedral, Wells, England - Exeter Morris Men

Everyone, including myself who is of English descent, thinks that Clogging, or step dancing, is only an Irish tradition, which was later brought to the Colonies and combined with Folk Music in our history. However, it appears that step dancing also has roots in England. Called Morris dancing, it began during the late middle ages and has enjoyed a rebirth in England due to interest around Oxford in this century. Sir Dayvd of Oxfordshire has sent me the following link for those who would like to explore this great tradition in more detail. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_men

I don't know about you, but the men in the picture look like strapping lads to me! Plus, the fact that they are dancing in my ancestral home of Wells makes it slightly more interesting to me. My dad used to do a dance he called the "Barn Yard Shuffle"; however, looking back at his form now I would say that Morris was dancing in his shoes.

Cheers,
Sir Hook the Prancing Dancer of Warrick

1 comment:

  1. A new reality show? Morris Dancing with the Stars?

    It's interesting what men will do after a few pints.

    Sir Bowie of Greenbriar

    ReplyDelete