Visit the Official KCSA Web Site

Visit the Official KCSA Web Site
Click to Visit the Official KCSA Web Site. Unity Through Diversity...Knights Nation!

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Walpurgis with Sir James of Taylor


I mentioned to Sir James yesterday that I was building a Walpurgis “bonfire” in my backyard and invited him to come over for a drink of mead (or beer or spirits).

Now, I guess I could have built the fire and lit it with matches or disposable lighter; however, I believed it best to use traditional methods for such an ancient festival. So, as the sun set, I took out my flint and steel and proceeded to light my patio fire pit (aka bonfire to ward off evil spirits ) and prepared to usher in the new light of May Day.


Next, the mead. Knowing that I did not have any mead in the liquor cabinet, I stopped on my way and picked up a bottle of Chimay Grande Reserve Trappist Ale.


I knew that I was in for a treat when I first uncorked the bottle. You read that correctly – uncork.

Here are the simple instruction as listed on the Chimay web site:

Take a bottle of Chimay, uncork it, smell it, already the beer is giving off its subtle aromas.Then allow this incomparable liquid to pour slowly into its Trappist chalice. Then just close your eyes and savour it.

Well, unfortunately, I don't own a Trappist chalice, but I do own a very large glass schooner! I did as the web site suggested and slowly poured the “incomparable liquid” into my schooner and savored it. Yes, I was drinking no ordinary beer. This is Trappist beer – a beer of tradition!


From www.chimay.com


One day you discovered this exceptional beer. After that, on each new occasion, meeting it was a pleasure.”


In order to meet their needs and those of their foundations as well as to sustain employment in their region, since 1862 the Cistercian Trappist monks of Chimay have been developing the production of Trappist beers and cheeses which, owing to their character and qualities are well known and enjoy great success.


Chimay is an authentic Trappist beer that is it is brewed within a Trappist monastery, under the control and responsibility of the monastic community. Only 6 beers in Belgium can carry the appellation "Trappist": Chimay, Orval, Rochefort, Westmalle, Westvleteren and Achel.


Thank you Sir Hook for introducing us to Walpurgis Night and thank you Sir James of Taylor for sharing the fire with me.


Happy May Day,

Sir Bowie of Greenbriar








3 comments:

  1. After drinking a couple of Fish Bowls of Chimay, it's easy to see why the Trappist Monks take a vow of silence. They couldn't talk anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture of that bowl of beer by the firelight... what an advert...this makes me want to go out right now and buy a case..

    Here I go..............


    Sir Dayvd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. It's about $14 a bottle here, so I won't be purchasing any cases. But, an enjoyable evening.

    ReplyDelete